The History of Guilden Sutton Church of England Primary School
In 1868, a new vicar, Reverend G. Hobson, was appointed to St. John the Baptist Church in Guilden Sutton village. There was no school but he estimated that there were at least 50 children of school age and therefore set about fundraising for a school. Outside the church gate was a glebe cottage (a church-owned property), as seen in a drawing dating from 1854 showing the cottage by the church. This building was used as the school for the village from 1872. The first log book (dated 1882) shows a register of 90 children and a teacher - Miss Jones. All ages were educated together.
The village was quite poor with no benefactor to donate a sufficient sum for the build. The school and village held bazaars and concerts to raise funds, but often these only just covered their costs. The land was donated off Guilden Sutton Lane and a design drawn up. In May 1891, the new school was opened. It was lit by candles and oil lamps with no running water, water was brought from the pump at Pump Cottage across the road and heating was provided by coal fires. In 1898, it officially became a Church School, with a new Headmaster. Appointed in 1900, Mr. Healey stayed in the school house with his family until he retired.
Mobile classrooms were added over the years as the numbers increased. With the construction of the Oaklands estate in 1970, there was a pressing need for a new school. The old school stayed open until 1990 when the current school was built. In January 1990, the opening of the new primary school was marked by the planting of an oak tree by Reverend J. A. Malbon, aided by Headteacher John Spencer.